May is Better Hearing and Speech Month!
Every May is designated as Better Hearing and Speech month and is so designated to help bring awareness of resources available to those challenged with hearing or speech disorders. According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association over 14 million Americans are affected.
Many Speech Language Pathologists (SLPs) are providing special events and programs during this month. The theme this year is “Helping People Communicate”. You may wish to contact your SLP or SpeechEasy Provider to see if they are offering anything to promote awareness of this event.
Right now SpeechEasy is offering a $150 evaluation rebate to help offset the cost of a SpeechEasy first -time evaluation with one of our Providers. Since 2008 SpeechEasy has paid over 1000 of these rebates to aid and encourage those who stutter make an informed decision about their therapy options-including SpeechEasy.
What Happens at a SpeechEasy Evaluation?
This is one of the most commonly asked questions that we receive here at SpeechEasy. During an evaluation, our Providers have been trained to help give you an accurate assessment of your stuttering and the effect SpeechEasy has on it. Yes, you get to try a real SpeechEasy and see all the available models in person.
As professionally certified Speech Language Pathologists, our Providers want to make sure that SpeechEasy is the best therapy option for you. Remember, there is never an obligation to buy a SpeechEasy during your evaluation.
Although evaluation experiences will differ, here are some of the recommended steps we train our Provider to include:
- A frank discussion about your past experiences and therapy. This helps make sure you and your fluency goals are realistic and attainable.
- A review of how the choral speech signal that SpeechEasy utilizes works for most people who stutter.
- A baseline assessment of your fluency without SpeechEasy in reading and monologue.
- An assessment of your fluency with a SpeechEasy device and a discussion of changes in fluency noted.
- Programming of the device to ascertain the most beneficial delay and pitch settings for maximum fluency for you.
- A trial period during the allotted evaluation time when you wear a SpeechEasy device and try it for yourself.
- A professional recommendation from your Provider as whether SpeechEasy is the right option for your stuttering management.
- A discussion about the various models and which would be most appropriate for you should you choose to purchase.
- A summary about <funding options >may be discussed with your Provider but many times these can be reviewed with us here at SpeechEasy prior to your appointment.
The decision to begin the process and see if SpeechEasy is right for you begins with the investment in this valuable time with one of our Providers. There are over 110 caring Providers located throughout the United States who are ready to help you make a decision about your fluency options. We’ll be glad to help you set up an appointment.